Saturday, July 31, 2010

Rhubarb Cake Supreme - Total Yummy, Sweet, Goodness!

My parents have a pretty good sized garden in the back, and have always had several Rhubarb plants that have thrived there year after year.  The starts came from my Aunt Ruth I believe - probably in the 70's is my best guess (maybe 60's?  Mom?  Amanda? do you know?)  
So, each summer I like to eat a little bit since I can't find it here in Texas.  And...if I ever did find it - I doubt I'd want to pay the price for it.  My guess is it would be expense, and not taste nearly as good as it does fresh from the garden. 
So, without further ado, I'd like to share the recipe we used this summer:

Rhubarb Cake Supreme

Here's what you need:

6 cups rhubarb cut into 1" pieces
1 3 oz. box strawberry Jello
1 cup sugar
1 package yellow cake mix
3/4 cp. butter, melted
1 1/2 cup water
Start by cutting the leaves off the top of the rhubarb (unless you bought it from the store - then the leaves are probably already removed).  Discard the leaves.  Wash the stalks and cut them into 1 inch pieces.

Place the rhubarb in a 9x13 inch pan.  (Good job for little helpers!)

Mix the dry Jello with the 1 cup of sugar.  
Sprinkle the Jello and Sugar over the Rhubarb.  (Nothing complicated here folks!)
Sprinkle the cake mix over the Jello/Sugar mixure (Again, easy-peasy!)
Now, drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix. (Staying with me?)
Pour the 1 1/2 cups water over that and pop it into a 350 degree oven.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.
This is the cute little oven we used at my parent's house.  It's not an antique - but sure is cute, huh?

And, Voila!  Here you go - Rhubarb Cake Supreme - extra delicious with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.  Hope you likey!

2 comments:

a.tonagel said...

so sorry that your hubby didn't get to enjoy some. i know how much he LOVES rhubarb. :)

Just Jaime said...

Looks yummy. I've never had rhubarb anything so I want to try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...