Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thrift Store Metal Tray Turns Into Adorable Vintage Memo Board

These are so easy to make - and add so much funky charm to your room. You could make them to suit any theme you have going. It all depends on what you can find at the thrift store or flea market, or whatever you happen to have lying around the house. I have this one hanging in my laundry room at the moment.

Here's what you need:
Metal Tray (look for these at flea markets, garage sales, thrift stores, you get the idea)
Vintage Earrings (or buttons would work great too. Look for earrings that may be broken already or miss matched - you'll get them much cheaper, and you won't feel so bad when you snap the thingy off the back and glue a magnet to it)
Ribbon
Round Magnets (at any craft store)
Hot Glue Gun
Drill

Basically, all you do is drill two holes at the top of the tray to string your ribbon through. Then take your earrings and snap the backs off. Then just hot glue your round magnets to the backs of the earrings, and there you go!.
No one else will have a memo board like yours and they are great for displaying some of your nifty vintage photos, postcards, tidbits and inspirations. I'd love to find a really big tray to do this too and use it for my "inspiration" board.

My husband and I have a special affection for Yellowstone National Park since it's where we met and worked for several years. So we both love to collect vintage Yellowstone items. These are just a few of my favorites that I pulled out of a stack. Actually, they were stuffed in those vintage suitcases I mentioned awhile back.

I'd love to hear if you make one of these - are you getting the itch for flea markets and garage sales to start up again like me?



2 comments:

a.tonagel said...

cute cute! Guess what??!?! I am going to receive Grandma Anne's sewing table/machine and all her old notions. I am pumped. No place for it but I am happy to have it. She also had a couple really neat old tableclothes and aprons that I saved.

RetroLeeTX said...

Good for you. It always means more when it's something from your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...