Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Freezer Paper Stencils

I swear I'm not trying to turn this into a Twilight blog - there are plenty of them out there - but....I did want to share this little project I recently completed.
Have you heard of using freezer paper for stencils? I had, but just had never tried it before. Mainly because I'd been busy with other sewing projects and just never had anything that I really wanted to stencil.
But, I didn't want to spend $30 on a tank like this one and I ran across this site - Sew Hooked in which Jennifer has a great little tutorial on how to make t-shirt designs with freezer paper. She even provided the stencil -which was great. You can find stencils all over the internet - just google what you're looking for. Many are free.
Basically, you print your design onto freezer paper (I just tore off a piece and stuck it in my printer). Then, take an exacto knife and cut it out. This step took the longest and my hand sort of looked like a claw when I was done :) Then, you use a cool iron and iron your paper to your shirt, then take fabric paint (I used acrylic because I didn't feel like running to the store) and paint over the top of your design. Let it dry, and peel the paper off. Viola! It's fun! Give it a try if you want to!
BTW- I purchased the tank top at Kohl's for$5, that beats $30 any day! (Especially if you're only going to wear the top during designated Twilight events!)

3 comments:

a.tonagel said...

Love this idea. Where did you find your design? I want to make a few of these.

RetroLeeTX said...

I googled "Cullen Crest stencil" - you can find all sorts of stencils on line. You can also find cute ones at craft and fabric stores.
I ended up borrowing a friends "Dedazzler" and putting rhinestones along the neckline - I'm loving it!! Can't wait for TWICON baby!!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job! Thanks for linking to my blog, too.

Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...