Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"C" is for Cookie, Yee Haw Cowboy!

We were able to spend some good friendly get together time this weekend with several friends of ours from the neighborhood and church. I brought these cookies for everyone and several people had asked for the recipe. So, I thought I'd just post it here for all of you also! Cowboy Cookies are my "go-to" cookies when I need to bake something. The secret to the chewy-ness is the oatmeal, brown sugar and coconut. The secret to the rather large size - I use an ice cream scoop to round them into balls before they bake.


Very Big, Very Chewy, and Oh sooo good! Hope you enjoy-



Cowboy Cookies - Yee Haw!

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut

Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.


In a sepatate bowl, blend butter and sugars with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and continue to beat until fluffy. Blend in vanilla.


Mix in the dry mixture a little at a time (or you'll have flour flying around your kitchen!). Mix in the chocolate chips and coconut.


Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.


Heat oven to 350.


Using an ice cream scoop, shape the dough into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2-3 inches apart.


Bake for about 10-13 minutes. Don't over bake them! Take them out when the edges are just brown and the centers are just set. Take them out of the oven, and let them sit on the pan for about 5 minutes before you take them off. If you try to take them off before this, they'll just mush up on your spatula, unless you over baked them (like I told you not too! I know this is hard, especially if your little boy is in your bathroom going through your makeup drawer and discovering that mascara is fun to scribble on one's face with - but just set your timer, you'll thank me!).


Also, I use a Silpat for baking all of my cookies. It's awesome - non stick, and preventing a lot of spreading. I also use a cookie sheet with the air flow under it - I think things cook a little slower on it, so be sure to keep an eye on your cookies while they're in the oven.

You can also try different flavors of chips - the peanut butter chips are great too.


Good luck - let me know how they turn out. I wish the pictures could've been a little better - I need a course on taking pictures I think. If only I could inject the wonderful smell - I know you're mouth would be watering!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...