Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Hook and Yarn

Several years ago, during a trip to Mississippi, my mother in law gave me a handful of these crochet hooks that her father had hand carved from a Bodock tree. On the drive back to Alabama, she taught me a simple chain stitch, and from then on, I've been hooked!

I bought a book on crochet and taught myself. I love having an excuse to sit down, do something relatively mindless and somewhat meditative, and still be productive. Of course, my husband is still scared to death that I'll crochet him a sleeveless vest or even a tie and expect him to wear it.
Please look past my unkept fingernails. I know you'll forgive me since I have been cleaning up after my 2 year old boy today - let's see.....cereal mixed with water dumped in my bathroom sink (then more water blasted on top, makes a great mushy mess), an entire box (not bag) of goldfish crackers dumped out in his lap, while strapped in his carseat while travelling down the highway - these crackers are now wedged in various locations inside my car since they were hurled at me while I was driving, one large glass of water poured onto the carpet in my bedroom - which had been sitting quietly on a bedside table, and last but not least - a bottle of massage oil from a decade ago (because, honestly, who has a two year old and a 6 year old and has a need for massage oil?!!) was poured out onto my tile (thankfully, not carpet) floor - this makes a great slippery surface for mom or dad when exiting the shower. Now then.........So, I've gotten my hooks out again and started working on these:

Don't the yo-yo's look pretty?? My sweet sister has volunteered to man several craft shows for me in Indiana this holiday season. So, these are hopefully headed that direction before too long -

do you crochet?

2 comments:

a.tonagel said...

Nope. Don't crochet. I will just leave that up to you and buy them from you instead. :)

Lacie said...

You are sooo talented! I learned to crochet froma friend of mine...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...